Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Playdough Scripture John 1:1




"In the beginning was the Word... and the Word became INK."

John 1:1 and John 1:14 (Playdough Version)



(Credit for this one goes to a comment by frank on Stop Calling The Bible The Word Of God.)

3 comments:

Eric said...

John, just out of curiosity, how would you define what the bible is?

Jonathan said...

Thanks Eric for asking.

I believe the Bible was written by close followers of Jesus whom I trust. I trust God was with them. It/they teach me about who Jesus is, and that God is trustworthy and God is the final authority.

I definitely love our Bible. I try to base most of what I blog about on things I find in our Scriptures.

This post may help clarify more:
http://jonjourney.blogspot.ca/2012/02/loving-bible-for-what-it-is-not-what-i.html

Jonathan said...

Eric, your good and fair question is lingering. I'll have to put a bit more thought into it.

I need to add that these guys that wrote these books were eyewitnesses to the life, teachings, and death of Jesus, and to the early church. I can't think of any other books that intrigue me more.

But I have heard many poor interpretations of passages when people believe the terms Word, Word of the Lord, or Word of God refer to the Bible. I want to point out that these terms in Scripture do not refer to a book.

I believe John 5:39-40 speaks both of the purpose of Scripture, and the dangers of too much focus on Scripture.
"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life."

Eric, do you think I'm missing something essential here in my view of the Bible? Something that the Bible clearly teaches and emphasizes?