Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Playdough Scripture Romans 15:5-7

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among your local congregation, and with those of similar theological belief systems  yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that your local church will with one heart and mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept those who are the same as you one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

Romans 15:5-7  (Playdough Version)

If we draw a circle around our group, and exclude others, can we call that Christian unity?

2 comments:

Don G said...

I struggle with this concept. On the one hand, we are called to unity. On the other we are called to rightly divide the word of God. But rightly dividing it means different things to different people. What some consider areas of freedom, others consider non-negotiable. How far does liberty go? These are not easy questions.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Don,

I have struggled with this in the past as well.

But the more I've studied the topic of unity, I realize that it is likely more essential than most of the issues that divide us. There are so many verses that speak about unity and love. Yet some make issues with one or two verses of support to justify being divisive. When we recognize unity is essential, and unity in Christ is a reality that we are not decision makers about, I think we can find ways of discussing differences in a spirit of love.

Here are a few further posts on this topic:

http://jonjourney.blogspot.ca/2009/02/unity-is-essential.html

http://jonjourney.blogspot.ca/2011/06/clarification-what-is-essential.html

Thanks for your honest feedback. God bless you as you struggle through this.