Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Paul the Heretic?

Different people throughout history have been called heretics. I wouldn't be surprised if some out there would use the term heretic to describe me. But I wonder if most Christians are heretics in a certain way.

The term heretic is often used today to refer to someone who holds false beliefs.  I'm pretty sure that applies to most of us.  We just can't see our own faults very well.

However the term heretic comes from greek hairesis -a self chosen opinion, or sect.

The term is often translated to refer to a sect or faction.

For example Acts 24:5 (NIV) where Paul is on trial, and Christians are called a sect.
“We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the Nazarene sect"

The greek word for sect here is haireseĊs.


When we speak of heritics, are we thinking of a sect, a group of people with similar beliefs?

Are most Christians heritics?

Is modern Christianity basically a collection of 30,000 sects or denominations?


Or is there only one Church?

In the eyes of the world is there one sect of people following Christ, or many?

In the eyes of Christ is there only one church or many?

If you point fingers at someone for being a heretic, please don't do so in a divisive way, or you may need to point your finger back at yourself.


No comments: