"Much of what we call "church" today originated, not in the New Testament, but in post-apostolic times.
- The Lord's Supper has changed from a celebration to a ceremony.
- Worship has changed from participation to observation.
- Witness has changed from relationship to salesmanship.
- Leadership has changed from servanthood to professionalism.
- Mission has changed from being missionaries to supporting missionaries.
- Body life has changed from edification to entertainment.
- Buildings have changed from functional to sacred.
- Child care has changed from the hands of parents to the hands of strangers."
- Gatherings changed from spontaneous spirit lead to prescheduled.
- Giving changed from giving to the poor to giving to the 'church'
- Discipleship training changed from apprenticeship model to academic model
- Gospel of Jesus' Kingdom changed to gospel of our distinct doctrines
- Unity of all saints changed to unity within our local faction
It's easy to get grumpy about lists like this. I can point fingers at those anonymous people in history... "Look at the mess you have made with Christ's church."
But then there are still some fingers pointing back at me...
Have I been faithful with what God is calling me to do? Am I loving God and loving others with a servant heart moment by moment? Am I full of Christ's Joy? Peace? Patience? Goodness? Genteelness? Self control?
To get Christ's church back to where it needs to be we simply need to allow Christ to direct it.
Just like I need to allow Christ to direct my life. Easier said than done, but this is the part God is asking of me.
Fixing Christ's church? I can't do that, but I believe God is moving in His church, I'm excited to see what His plans are for it. (even if he doesn't fix everything in my list) :)
But mostly I'm excited (and anxious) about what his plans are for me.