Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

N. T. Wright on Women in Ministry

Thanks Jonathan Brink for sharing this video.


Two interesting points.

Was Junia(s) in Romans 16:7 a woman?

And is she (he) being referred to here as being an apostle (prominent among the apostles), or just well known to the apostles?

I'm not sure I'm qualified to weigh in strongly on this other than highlight that there is an interesting discussion on these questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junia

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1163

The other point N.T. Wright makes here is one I've heard before. Was there significance to the fact that women were the first witnesses to the empty tomb? In those days, the testimony of women was not admissible in courts. So why did God pick women to be the first witnesses of the resurrection? And why did the the gospel writers bother including it? Were things to work differently within this kingdom of God? Can women share fully in the task of sharing the good news of our risen Lord?

No comments: