Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The M Blog: When can we be a church?

Guy Muse from Ecuador shared this great story of some new converts multiplying and planting 'churches'. Worth the read here: The M Blog: When can we be a church?

Some questions to consider:

  • How many people are needed to call a group a church?
  • How much education and training is needed before one can disciple others and plant other 'churches'?
  • How much human intervention, organized hierarchy is needed?
  • How much should we rely on the Holy Spirit?

Amazing story... maybe it always doesn't turn out this way, but I fear we may often get in the way of God working though us because we think we know His plans.

3 comments:

J. Guy Muse said...

Thanks for the link. I like your questions. As you point out, we often get in the way of God working by putting up artificial (extra-biblical) barriers and having our own set of expectations. Our experience here has been that when we offer Jesus the "five loaves and two fish" that we have, He blesses and multiplies what we have turned over so that many lives are touched.

Tiffany Jane said...

I love stories like that

I think this question should be discussed WAY more than it is right now

so much of what our mindset around what church is or looks like is stifling and close minded.

It's interesting to remember that where-ever 'church' appears in the bible it simply meant congregation

if a bunch of friends happen to get together for coffee and chat about their lives and what gods doing.. thats church

so is sunday morning services

and everything in between there

Jonathan said...

Thanks GuyMuse and Tiffany for the comments!

Yes GuyMuse, God will use whatever giftings and abilities we have when we let him. Great story.

Yes Tiffany. I think most would agree that Christ's Church is His people... but I think most 'church' goer's don't really think that truth through well.

God bless!