Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

To My Protestant Friends

It's been around 500 years since the Protestant Reformation. I'd like to ask my Protestant friends some questions about where they find themselves now. If you are part of the Protestant branch of Christianity, are you still protesting? Do you know what you are protesting?


The Reformers first took issue with:

They also took a stand for the 5 solas:
  1. Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
  2. Sola fide ("by faith alone")
  3. Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
  4. Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
  5. Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")
I once considered myself a Protestant.  Yet I don't think I really understood these issues.  Yes I'd heard a bit about why the other side was wrong, but I hadn't examined the issues with much of an open mind.

As you can see with the links above I've written some posts in the past on many of these topics.  I haven't written on all the topics yet - we will see if I get the urge to finish at some point.

But how about you, my Protestant friends?

Does this list of issues summarize where you stand today? Do you strongly feel the need to continue protesting these issues? Or are you ready to drop the label 'Protestant'?  Or does being a Protestant mean something different to you today?

4 comments:

Steve Martin said...

We are not technically 'Protestants'.

We are catholic (small C) Lutherans, who were not desirous of leaving the Catholic Church, but tried to get it back to the truths of the gospel.

We are constantly reforming. Ourselves, and critiqing other churches that try to add something to the work of Christ for sinners, and that work alone.

Jonathan said...

I love the idea behind small c catholic. I suspect there is only one true Church, Christ's Church. We just don't always see it that way through all the walls that have been built up.

I'm not suggesting everyone who 'goes to church' (building) or is 'a member of a church' (institution/organization) is part of Christ's church (family/body). But I don't think Jesus will use those walls to determine who is in and who is out.

You can call it wishful thinking, but I see little value in using labels to divide up Christ's Church.

Steve Martin said...

Jonathan,

Good thoughts, my friend.

Jesus does know His own and I have a feeling they can be found in a wide variety of churches that profess His Name.

I'll be back to your interesting site to do a bit of perusing.

Thanks, and g'nite.

- Steve

Jonathan said...

Thanks Steve Martin for the comments and for giving some thought to my crazy out of the box thoughts. :) God bless!