Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Particular judgment

So why am I writing a blog post on particular judgment? I've never spent much time thinking about this. But I want to take a look at the issues that fueled the protestant reformation. In the 1500's this was one of these hot topics. If the climate has changed and these issues are no longer as divisive as they were, maybe the protestants don't need to continue the 'protest'. :)

The Catholic doctrine of the particular judgment is this: that immediately after death the eternal destiny of each separated soul is decided by the just judgment of God.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08550a.htm

I guess this topic is linked with my previous post on purgatory. If someone believes we enter a state of soul slumber when we die, and do not believe in some temporal purification process, then it would follow that there is not two judgments after death.

It seems to me that protestants also have a range of positions on this topic. When we die do we go to heaven immediately, sleep for awhile, or have a temporal purification? In my opinion I don't think differences on this topic is worth questioning the validity of someone's standing with God.

I don't see this as being a big divisive topic now... let me know if I'm wrong.

The next one - devotion to Mary - still gets plenty of airtime though.

No comments: