Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Playdough Scripture Luke 10:25-28

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

"What is written in this tract? the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

He answered: " I need to understand my sin problem, that my sinfulness separates me from God. That Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. If I believe in Jesus he will save me.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do Believe this and you will live."

Luke 10:25-28 (Playdough Version)



Do we think Jesus answer is correct, or was He misleading this man? Why would Jesus give a different answer than we typically give?

2 comments:

Al said...

Good one, Jon.
I guess Jesus didn't really know the depths of the theology we would develop over the years following his life on earth. He didn't know that simple and practical doesn't cut it, we need something more legalistic, something we can use to sort into 'us' and 'them'.

Rob Simpson said...

If you love God and others then part of loving them is trying not to hurt them by your words or actions. I look at this as good advice. Just following these two new commandments that Jesus should cause us to sin less. Can you think of a sin we do that doesnt hurt others, ourselves, or God?