Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

11th reason

Oops, I published that last one too soon. I have another reason why I'm Not a Fan of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

#11 Like many doctrines, this is used to divide and/or maintain divisions in Christ's church. If we stick to teaching passages of Scripture in context we will find most Christians agree. When we teach a doctrine that requires proof texting (copy and pasting a variety of verses from all over) there will likely be some who object.

I am one of those who object. But I will try to maintain unity with those who love Penal Substitutionary Atonement. I know many of them love Jesus. Maybe they came to conclude this theory from their personal time with my Lord, or maybe they are following traditions and teachings they have received from others.

Either way, I don't think it's so much what you know as who you know that matters. I certainly don't have it all figured out either. :)

1 comment:

Covnitkepr1 said...

I do know this...we better know Him on that great day...and He better know us...thus "depart from me, I never knew you".