Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Don't fear God

1 John 4:18 (NIV)
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
You may respond. "But Jon, there are verses in the Bible that teach that fearing God is a good thing".

OK, yes. Some people should fear God. Those who do not know God and His love for them should at least fear God. A healthy dose of fear does keep people out of trouble.

But it would be much better to know God and know His love. When we live in God's love for us there is no room left for fear.

I don't want my children to fear me... I want them to know that I love them and want the best for them. I want them to follow my guidance because they know I care for them.

Our God is much better at love than I am. I can follow His leading because I know he loves me and has good plans for me.

No comments: