Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Some thoughts from Mexico


We're down in rural Mexico staying with a family who is building an orphanage, and has 7 orphan kids living with them now. We've had the opportunity to visit a number of 'have not' people, and it gets me thinking...

Why do we place such value on money... our culture seems driven by it... but does having more money really improve the quality of one's life?
"Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot." (Luke 12:15 The Message)
The quality of one's relationship to God in most cases does not improve with more wealth. There is always the temptation to rely less on God, and get distracted by all the stuff we have. When we thank God for our food, how thankful are we really to God? We have a habit of saying a prayer before eating, but why don't we say a similar prayer every time we fill up our vehicle with gas, or as we're making a new purchase, or get dressed in one of our many outfits? I've never heard of a family who closes their eyes and folds their hands to say a prayer of thanksgiving for cable TV before turning it on to watch their favorite show.

And do we get distracted too much playing with our stuff (TV, movies, internet, shopping, hobbies, home keeping, home improvements) that we forget our Father is with us.

Unfortunately I think if I had less I'd likely be more thankful for each little bit God provided, and would spend more of my life enjoying His love for me.

This week I've been blessed to meet some people who truly love God, you can really see it when they pray - yet they possess a fraction of the stuff most in Canada/USA do.

There's truth in Luke 6:20-21 whether we like it or not:
Looking at his disciples, he said:
"Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.

No comments: