Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Paul's deConversion

I was encouraged to read Jeremy's deConversion story here:
http://www.tillhecomes.org/blog/conversion-from-senior-pastor-to-church-dropout/

My deConversion story hasn't been as extreme. I haven't been shunned much yet, and haven't lost any employment. Yet I have taken a step away from some past religious traditions. I know my viewpoints are no longer considered safe by some. I used to fit well with the church crowd. Now I'm a bit outside the box.

I see a parallel with Jeremy's story, my story, and with Paul’s deConversion story:

Phil 3:4-11 (NIV)

“though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.”

Paul was a good religious guy. He fit in well with all the religious folks in his day. He did everything they expected. He was well respected.

But Paul Continues:

“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.”


Jeremy gives advice to those who find themselves going through a deConversion from religion process:
"Though it feels like they are being ripped away from all they know about God and what He wants us to do, the end result will be a relationship with Him that does not depend on an approved list of behaviors and beliefs. Instead, they can simply enjoy a relationship with God just as they would any other person."

I'm with Jeremy and Paul on this. All the work meeting the expectations of religion I now consider rubbish compared to knowing Christ.

2 comments:

Jeremy Myers said...

Thanks for posting about this. I hope I don't remind you of Paul! Ha ha.

Jonathan said...

:)
Seeing I've never met you or Paul it would be hard for me to say.