Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Walmart Greeters

Do Walmart greeters make you feel part of the Walmart community?

I grew up in a small village with one small local general store. Mr. Jackson was always there to welcome everyone who came in to get their daily grocery needs, and pick up the mail. He actually became the unofficial mayor of the village because of his real connections with everyone in town on a regular basis.

Does the Walmart greeter even compare with the Mr. Jackson I grew up knowing?
Do I even read the greeter's name tag as I walk by?

Did the early church have users or greeters?

This isn't a huge issue for me. I don't really have a beef with users and greeters. I'm just wondering...

Is there a difference between someone welcoming me into their home, and asking me how my week was, and the users and greeters found in most churches?

The small general store I grew up with was very personal. The early church met in homes, you can't get more personal than that. As stores and church gatherings grow we loose the natural personal connections. And our Walmart greeters are an attempt to fill that void.

But do they really make people feel connected? Or do most just walk past as quickly as possible. I know I usually simply smile, exchange short greetings, and keep moving.

No comments: