Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What does Evangelical mean?

I just read Rob Bell's explanation to the roots of the word Evangelical.
A bit of history: the word evangelical comes from the Roman Empire propaganda machine - it was an announcement proclaiming Caesar is Lord.

The first Christians took the phrase and tweaked it, saying "Jesus is Lord." That, of course, could get you killed. No one challenges Caesar.

To confess Jesus is Lord was to insist that peace does not come to earth through coercive violence but through sacrificial love.

That is still the question, is it not? Whose way? Jesus or Caesar? Power and might and domination - or bloody, thirsty, hanging on a cross?
http://twitter.com/realrobbell

Unfortunately I failed at confirming this original meaning with a google search.

Urban Dictionary confirms that most people don't know what the word means. It is used in a wide range of meanings, ranging from political to denominational groupings. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical

I understand Evangelical comes from the greek evangelion, which means good news, or gospel.

And what did Jesus mean when He preached the good news of the kingdom of God? That He was King, and we could live under His reign now and into eternity.

Which I guess is very similar to saying "Jesus is Lord".

So everyone who professes that "Jesus is Lord" or "Jesus Reigns" (not just in words, but in actions) is 'evangelical'?

No comments: