Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Monday, May 13, 2013

What Must I Believe Part 2

This is part two of a series exploring the question: "What set of beliefs do all true Christ followers believe?"

This post may make more sense if you read these too:


What Must I Believe Part 1 - explanation and look at Acts 16:30 - 31
What Must I Believe Part 2 - where Jesus tells a woman she is saved
What Must I believe Part 3 - a look at John 3:16
What Beliefs Part 4 - Whom Do I Trust?
What Must I believe - Part 5 - more verses to consider
What Creed Must I believe - Part 6 - how creeds can divide

Next lets look at a passage in Luke 7:36 - 50 where Jesus is anointed by a sinful woman:
"When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

skip to verse 47 

(Jesus said) "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”  Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”  The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?” Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”  (NIV)

Like the last story, it may seem some things are missing from this story.  The story doesn't mention any gospel presentation. It doesn't mention Jesus going through a list of beliefs that must be accepted by faith.  There is no sinners prayer mentioned.

However it does mention her sins being forgiven, and that she is saved by faith.

Faith in what is the key question?  Is it faith in a set of information? Is it agreement in some truth statements?

If it was her belief in a set of information that has saved her, it would have been nice if Jesus had mentioned that.  But just like the previous example in Acts 16 no list of essential beliefs is given.

I have an idea of what the object of her faith may have been.  But first I'll look at a few more passages.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Steve Martin said...

Trust in Him. In Jesus. That's it.

God doctrine is important. But it doesn't save us. He does.

Jonathan said...

Thanks for the comment Steve. Amen!