- I would make a decree banning all Christian denominations. All followers of Christ would be instructed to recognize that there is only one church.
- I would hold a mass ordination where all Christ followers would be ordained as priests. Imagine how much could be accomplished by encouraging the priesthood of all believers.
- I would lay off all employee's of the church. With millions of new priests volunteering their time and lives, it wouldn't be necessary to pay some.
- I would sell all church property, and distribute the money raised to the poor.
- I would make a decree that Jesus is the only head of His church.
- I would then resign.
What would be left after I destroyed what the church has worked so hard to create and maintain? The vision I have is that the church would return to the way it was in the early days - before the days of church buildings, special staff, and special programs. The church would be scattered back into the world - to work together, care for others, and share Jesus with those outside the church.
I recognize that the Pope does not have influence over the other 30,000+ denominations out there. But I suspect if the Catholic church took these steps of reform - many other reformers would follow.
Did I miss anything? What would you do if you were Pope?