You may have heard this line from Jesus before. If so, imagine for a moment that you haven't. How would we naturally finish the following sentence?
The kingdom of heaven belongs to...
What groups of people would you guess make up the kingdom of heaven?
- Sunday School Teachers?
- Nuns, Monks?
- Those most generous?
- Those most caring?
- Those most wise?
- Those that have said the sinners prayer?
- Those who are baptized?
Jesus has some weird upside-down concepts for His kingdom.
Matt 19:13 - 15 (NIV)
"Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.So what kingdom qualities do children have?
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there."
- Lack of pride
- They don't have stuff figured out, and they don't care
- They don't have a clue about important things like the value of money
- Dependence on their parents/guardian
- Need comfort of being close to parents/gaurdian
- Simple faith. They are very gullible
- Forgive others quickly
- Enjoy simple things in life
Why do you think Jesus said such a strange thing?