"One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind." Rom 14:5 (HCSB)
The word holiday has it's roots with the words Holy Days. It's the idea that certain days are set aside because of some special religious significance.
I think the above verse is fitting for our Christian culture of today. There is a lot of religious focus around the date Dec 25th. I think most Christian's know that this date is not likely the actual date of Jesus' birth, but they want to have a special day set aside to celebrate the significance of our Lord's coming.
However there are other Christians who are concerned that a lot of what happens around Christmas comes from pagan roots, and that a lot also comes from current commercial greed.
Then I consider other Holy Days.
Much of Easter can be traced back to pagan origins.
Sunday as the day the church gathers has links to Sun worship of the pagans.
Paul in Romans 14 was talking about a debate over eating certain types of food. I think what he says has some valuable advice for us regarding holidays or Holy Days. If you struggle with this issue, please read the whole chapter. Here are two more bits:
Rom 14:10-11 (HCSB)
"But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God. Whoever observes the day, observes it for the honor of the Lord..."
Rom 14:22-23 (HCSB)
"Do you have a conviction? Keep it to yourself before God. The man who does not condemn himself by what he approves is blessed. But whoever doubts stands condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from a conviction, and everything that is not from a conviction is sin."
I take from this chapter:
- I may not view certain days as Holy and others as not. To me every day is equally Holy.
- Other brothers and sisters see things differently, and it is not my job to judge.
- I see value in each person studying the topics, seeking God, and deciding for themselves what is right.
- But what is right for you, may not be right for me, so let's keep cool about it either way.
- Sabbath vs Day of the Sun
- Why a Christmas Tree?
- How Would Jesus Celebrate Christmas
- Original Meaning of Christmas
- I'm not that kind of Christian
- Unity is Essential
- Judgemental Christians
Alan Knox's post Replay: Jesus is the Reason… for our lack of unity? got me on this topic this morning.