Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Judgement Day Princess Bride Style

(Warning: If you haven't watched Princess Bride as often as me, this may not make any sense.)


God:

All right. When is judgment day?
The battle of wits has begun.
It ends when you decide and we both wait and find out who is right...and who is dead.

Vizzini:
But it's so simple.
All I have to do is divine from what I know of you:
are you the sort of god who tells us May 21st is judgment day?
Now, a clever god would hint that it may be May 21st just to get everyone to repent. But only a great fool would believe since Jesus didn't even know the day or the hour. But I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose May 21st. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not assume it is not May 21st.
God:
You've made your decision then?
Vizzini:
Not remotely.
Because there have been so many previous judgment day predictions, as everyone knows, and they have all obviously been wrong, so considering the pattern I clearly can not believe May 21st is judgment day.
God:
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini:
WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?
God:
previous predictions.
Vizzini:
Yes, previous predictions.
And you must have suspected I would see the pattern and be suspicious this time. You would have expected this, so I can clearly should choose the date in front of me.
God:
You're just stalling now.

2 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Inconceivable...

-Alan

Peggy Blanchard said...

You killed my father. Prepare to die!