Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On Following

Most religions of the world have a book to follow. Or some meditations to follow. Or some rules to follow....

Is Christianity any different?
  • Do we follow a book?
  • Do we follow some creed?
  • Is it about agreeing to some catechism, some list of beliefs?
  • Is there a list of rules to follow?
Or is it different because it is a person we are following?

There are many verses that speak to following Jesus. All the references to Jesus being a shepherd come to mind. Here are a few:

John 10:14 (NIV)
“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—
Matthew 4:19 (NIV)
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
John 8:12 (NIV)
"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
John 10:27 (NIV)
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me"
It seems that divisions are created and maintained when we follow someone or something other than Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:11-13 (NIV)
My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[a]”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

OK. But how can we follow Jesus today? Did Jesus leave us with a book to follow? How did He expect us to carry on?

John 14:15-21 (NIV)
"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
John 14:26 (NIV)
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
What do you think? Is there a difference between following Christ and following a religion?

No comments: