Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Monday, March 16, 2009

If Protestants accepted Sola Scriptura

What would happen if protestants accepted Sola Scriptura?

From Wikipedia:
Sola scriptura is the teaching that the Bible is the only inspired and authoritative word of God, is the only source for Christian doctrine, and is accessible to all — that is, it is perspicuous and self-interpreting. That the Bible requires no interpretation outside of itself is an idea directly opposed to the teaching of the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Coptic, Anglo-Catholic, and Roman Catholic traditions, which teach that the Bible can be authentically interpreted only by Apostolic Tradition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_solas
A question to consider:

Do protestants become protestants by reading the Bible, or is this passed down by the protestant tradition?

If someone who knew nothing of our faith found our scriptures and accepted Jesus as Lord of their life, based only on our Bible, would they become a protestant?

Is there any scriptural support for creating different denominations?

1 Cor 1:10-13 (NIV)
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?
Is there any scriptural support to continue a 500 year old 'protest' with other followers of Christ who hold different beliefs?
We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother. (1 John 4:19-21)
I think if Protestants accepted Sola Scriptura they wouldn't be Protestant.

I think the essentials of unity and love are sacrificed whenever protestants focus on protestant traditions and protestant language that are not as central to our faith.

If they placed less value on protestant traditions, and more value on Scripture, I think they would simply be Christians, Christ followers, children of God, part of His Kingdom. I don't see a need to have any additional labels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus spoke about this just hours before the cross didn't he? In John 17:20-23.
The labels came about when there was less attention paid to what was written than to what was being said.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Jeraldd for stopping by.

Yes it is shameful the state we are in considering the one pray Jesus had for us - those who have believed in Him through the message passed on by the disciples.

Blessings,
Jon