Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Big Front Porch

Listening to an interesting podcast of a conversation between Sean Davidson, Bruxy Cavey, and Wayne Jacobsen.
http://thegodjourney.com/2012/10/12/the-end-of-religion/

I read Bruxy Cavey's book End Of Religion about a year ago.  I came away wondering how it was that someone who believed Jesus didn't come to start a new religion could end up on the pastoral staff at a large church in Ontario. This conversation I'm listening to today is helping clarify how this works for Bruxy.

It seems Bruxy is most concerned with encouraging believers to grow in their relationship with God and form healthy relationships with others.  The way they 'do church' is to emphasize meeting together in small house size gatherings.  It seems they place a real emphasis on this. 

The Sunday morning gathering then becomes like a big front porch that welcomes new people and encourages them to 'do church' with them... in a home setting.  They tell the people who come on Sunday that they are not a church that has small groups. They are a collection of home churches that also meets on Sunday morning.  When they talk about church... they are talking about the gatherings that occur in their homes.

"And we'll remind people regularly, if you don't have enough time in your week to do both, please skip Sunday mornings."

I enjoyed the podcast, and love seeing God moving people to think about church and religion outside the box of what has been passed on to us.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.


4 comments:

Steve Martin said...

I listened to some of what this gentleman had to say (audio from a sermon).

He was pretty close, but not quite there yet. He spoke of "becoming like Jesus" "blending His energy with our energy"...

Talk like that STILL is prodding the hearer on to ascend...to progress...and that is STILL religion.

Christ said "it is finished" on the cross...thereby ending religion. We are like Him not because of anything that we do, but rather because He declares us to be like Him...in Him...and He in us. Totally apart from anything that we do, say, feel, or think.

That understanding is the true 'end of religion'.

Thanks, Jon.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Steve, I hear what you are saying. And I agree Buxy likely hasn't got it all figured out, or found the perfect way of doing things. And I think he sounds humble enough that he'd be OK with me saying this.

However, I do want to become more like Jesus... I think that is what it means to be a disciple of Christ. But I am no longer looking for the approval of men, or to fit in and support a system. To me that is freedom from Religion.

However I do like your definition as well. Our good deeds don't earn us anything. But I still want to become more like Jesus. Can I agree with both of you?

Steve Martin said...

I've got news for you Jon, God isn't concerned about you becoming more like Jesus. He knows who and what you are (me too) and we are so far from His righteousness and pure motives that it isn't funny.
And it will always be that way with sinners.

But He lives in us and declares us to be holy and righteous, in spite of our lackluster performance.

Jonathan said...

But Steve, what does it mean to become a disciple of Christ? Or follower of Jesus? Or follower of the way?

I'm not saying we are saved by our works, but it seems clear that if we submit our live to Christ, and He becomes Lord and master... we will be changed.

Matthew 7:20-23 (NIV)
20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I suspect we may be agreeing but not understanding each others words...